Re: HELP!! how to migrate DB to another computer

From: Halina Monka <toyr002_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/09/04

MCC wrote:

> I try to port a Oracle database (7.x) from one SUN Sparc 1000E to another
> SUN 1000E Sparc computer. Both computer are use Solaris 2.5. I have some
> questions about how to migrate:
>
> 1. what is the options I need use for FULL export?
>
> 2. On new computer, I need create database. Do I need create all
> tablespace or just SYSTEM tablespace is enough?
>
> 3. On new computer, Does tablespace size need same like original or not
> ?
>
> 4. On new computer, Does data files need put on the same location
> (directory) or not?
>
> 5. Anything elase I need becareful?
>
> Thank you for help.

Hans covered almost all in his message. I would also recomend to create your tablespaces prior to import. I do it quite often to reorganize/resize/optimizy my "old" database. Also, create trace of your control file. Info found there may be vital for yoyr create database command. Note that you may also change the database name, block size, ch-r set if you need to. Hans is refering to OFA ( not OFI ) which stands for Oracle Flexible Architecture. Check Oracle magazine ( 1995 issue ) for detailed info on OFA.
Halina Monka Received on Wed Sep 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message