Re: HELP!! how to migrate DB to another computer

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 1996/09/04

MCC wrote:

> I try to port a Oracle database (7.x) from one SUN Sparc 1000E to another
> SUN 1000E Sparc computer. Both computer are use Solaris 2.5. I have some
> questions about how to migrate:
>
> 1. what is the options I need use for FULL export?

Try 'exp help=y' in UNIX ... gives all options.

> 2. On new computer, I need create database. Do I need create all
> tablespace or just SYSTEM tablespace is enough?

Depends. I 'always' build all required tablespaces before moving export to a new computer. This allows me to change the location, size of tablespaces. In the dark distant past, I did not do this (once) and the import merrily attempted to create the old tablespaces, even though the required disks were not there - I don't know if this is current behaviour.

> 3. On new computer, Does tablespace size need same like original or not
> ?

Absolutely not. You can use this to fact to 1) move tablespaces to better locations, 2) split large tablespaces across several disks to modify performance, 3) change size of tablespaces.

However, make sure that the tablespaces are big enough to contain all data & rebuilt indexes. Note that import may or may not require a different size than the original data space. Suggest getting table & tablespace statistics before attempting to make radical size changes.

> 4. On new computer, Does data files need put on the same location
> (directory) or not?

Again, absolutely not - if you create the tablespaces before importing.

> 5. Anything elase I need becareful?

Do the import and verify it BEFORE removing the old database. That way you can redo the export/import if anything goes seriously wrong.

Make sure that the new database is up & running with the 'correct' init.ora parameters before importing. Some of the parameters can't be changed & it's easier to scrap a db with only the SYSTEM+ tablespaces than to rebuild a complete one.

Make sure that your disk/file structure is capable of growth - review Oracle's recommendations for file & directory standards & adopt to your needs before starting in the first place. (I think that's currently called the OFI - contact Oracle for more info).

If possible, do your intial create database with a script. If you need to redo it later (eg: during recovery), it'll make things a lot easier.

> Thank you for help.

Hope this helps
/Hans Received on Wed Sep 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message