Re: Oracle on Digital Unix RAID

From: Wayne Linton <lintonw_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/09/04

Personally, I thank Mr. Martin for his candid, if not somewhat harsh-to-the-author, comments on RAID-5. I have not read a single positive comment from this newsgroup on RAID-5. I was one of the early commentors who was given a less-than-kind review of my comments on RAID-5 and I run a 45 Gig RAID-5 system on two controllers just fine thankyou very much.

One of my concerns at the moment is expandability - my raidsets are full and the only way to expand them is to unload the raidset, add the volumes, and load it back up again. This is a little difficult on a 7x24 operation, so I would suggest others to 'load up' their raidsets with extra disk at the begining.

RAID-5 provides me with the most cost-effective protection from a disk failure, and it performs just fine. (we run an Alpha 2100, twin cpus, and two HSZ40 cache controllers with RAID-5. we also have a bunch of mirrored disks but we are considering putting them in a raidset to gain some 'free' disk space.)

Wayne Linton Received on Wed Sep 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message