Re: Oracle on Digital Unix RAID

From: Steve Bourgeois <sbourgeo_at_ici.net>
Date: 1996/09/04

In article <322C8E2B.56F1_at_ix.netcom.com>, icbkr_at_ix.netcom.com says...

*sheesh*

I hope you would be a little nicer to the poster if he stopped by your office for your opinion...

>> We are currently running on a RAID 5 system and are having trouble with
>> performance.

< snip >

>> I would recommend that you do not run on a RAID 5 system. Most operating
>> systems have a system performace downgrade when using RAID 5.
>
>Only if you use a software version of RAID 5. All my hardware versions kick
>booty.

RAID 5 typically does not equal the performance of RAID 0+1 because of the overhead required to calculate and write parity data. Write-intensive data files, redo logs, etc will perform better under RAID 0+1.

< snip >

>Luis, this is a crock of garbage. This dude doesn't know what the heck he's
>talking about. Oracle runs just fine with RAID5, and depending on your unit,
>may show performance improvements over other methods, especially when coupled
>with RAW storage on the RAID device. All things considered, a solid RAID5
>platform is unbeatable for ease of use, expandability, and capabilities.
>
>bmartin

Agreed. RAID 5 is a good compromise in regards to providing redundancy for a reasonable cost, but it is not always the answer...

Steve Received on Wed Sep 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message