Re: database backup

From: Marek Wiechula and Sheila Plant <sparemgw_at_batelco.com.bh>
Date: 1996/09/03

Luca Rossi wrote:

> If i must save all the data of an application that use an ORACLE database under a Unix system (Risc 6000),
> i think that saving the tablespace files (.dbf), the control files (.con) and the parameter file (.ora),
> is necessary and enough for preserve the whole data application area.
> If not please tell me the right way to save my application data.
> It is also useful for me to know how to restore the backed up data if necessary.
> Waiting for an answer i thank you in advance.
> Best regards.

You cannot save just the .dbf files for the tablespaces that your application uses. You have to be able to recover the entire database. So, the data files, the control files, the redo files and the init (and maybe config file if you have it) are required. Be sure to shut the database down first. (ie. a cold backup)

If you are restoring to another server you will need to have the same level of Oracle software OR be prepared to migrate your database as required.

For restoring recreate the directory structure and repopulate it with the database, control, redo logs and init files. That should do it.

Alternatively you could export all the data structures you are using and then re-import them into some other database later.

Marek Received on Tue Sep 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message