Re: SMP & threads for SQL queries

From: Dan Marshall <djm_at_primenet.com>
Date: 1996/09/03

In message <322C8566.3382B8E3_at_fc.net> - Linas Vepstas <linas_at_fc.net>Tue, 03 Sep 1996 14:22:14 -0500 writes:
:>
:>Hi,
:>
:>Can anyone recommend an sql server that supports SMP
:>(symmetric multiprocessing) & threads for queries?
:>
:>We are looking at buying a 2-way or 4-way pentium pro,
:>and running linux on this. It seems that the popular
:>(i.e. cheap) linux databases (msql, justlogic, empress)
:>may not support this. clearly, its a waste to buy an
:>MP system if the databases won't make use of the extra
:>processors. The database would be mostly queried, and
:>very, very rarely updated.
:>
:>Anyone with experiences, please report ...
:>
:>Also, what is the largest database anyone has run
:>under linux? More than a few gigs? What's the largest
:>amount of real memory anyone has used? Has anyone
:>attempted to plug in 512 meg of simms, or more into
:>a linux box?
:>
:>--linas
:>linas_at_fc.net

FWIW, the latest Linux Journal reported on a company running Progress under Linux (SCO binaries).

New Century Solutions, Inc.     | Certified OS/2 Engineer
Independent I/S Consulting      | Certified MQSeries Engineer
Phoenix, AZ                     | Certified DB2 Database Administrator

(602) 759-6623                  |

http://www.primenet.com/~djm | Compuserve:70372,1104 Received on Tue Sep 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message