Re: FTP of numeric data from MVS

From: Mark Johnson <mwc.mjohnson_at_capital.ge.com>
Date: 1996/09/03

> I need to ftp numeric data from MVS to a HP UNIX machine. Currently I am
> unpacking the data and writing in display format so that the conversion
> from EBCDIC to ASCII works properly. For example, a column defined as
> PIC S99V99 COMP-3 is defined as PIC 99.99-. The problem is that this
> file may contain 3 million records and when it hits the UNIX machine the
> numeric display fields have to be converted back to regular numerics so
> that additional calculations can be performed (based on additional

We download numeric data all the time from MVS and everything works great. Oracle supports packed and zone decimal in SQL*Loader. We just ftp the file down and that does the EBCDIC to ASCII conversion automatically. We have loaded gigs of data this way and there is no need to convert the data to display on the host and then run a C program on the other end to change it back.

Check out the Utilities book for the Loader info. Received on Tue Sep 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message