Re: Can Oracle Home be on the server instead of client?

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 1996/08/31

Wayne Linton <lintonw_at_cadvision.com> writes:

>John Duska wrote:
>>
>> Can I just install the Oracle Windows client software on the
>> server, instead of on each client? The clients will all just access Deve
>> 2000 and other tools on the server. Then I wont have to waste disk space
>> on the clients. Will this work ok? (Novell Netware, btw.)
>> thanks
>> John
>>

>yes, no problem. Each client needs an ORACLE.INI that points to the
>ORACLE_HOME and other parms that point to your LAN-based software. The
>icons that run on the client need also to point to the LAN.

Please note a few "gotcha's" with this approach: Many of the Oracle tools need a temporary disk space to write temp files when working. Looks especially at Reports. It's default temp directory is in the ORACLE_HOME hierarchy somewhere.

THe point is, if you don't have "write" access to the directories, Reports will not work and will not give any menaingful error messages.

2 Solutions: 1) Give write acces on the appropriate directories.

                  I don't advocate this approach especially if
                  more than 1 developer is working at a time.
               2) Go into the ORACLE.INI and change any tempoary
                  directory references to point to C:\TEMP or
                  some other local (client side) temp directory.

We got stung on this one for quite some time....

Rich H.

---
Rich Holowczak         E-Mail: holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University     http://cimic3.rutgers.edu/~holowcza/