Re: Is there an Oracle expert in the house??

From: Ed Jennings <jennings_at_dca.net>
Date: 1996/08/31

Kevin Purcell wrote:

> I am trying to access a remote database table with a database link and
> having some problems. The SQL command is the simple one below:
>
> select * from TABLE_at_dblink;
>
> I created the database link and the table does exist but I keep
> receiving the error ORA-02070: database dblink does not support select
> in this context. The Server message book says to simplify the SQL
> statement. How??
>
> The Remote database machine is running (WIN NT 3.51)
> Oracle Workgroup Server Release 7.2.2.4.0
> PL/SQL Release 2.2.2.3.1
> SQL*NET 1.0
> SQL*NET 2.X
>
> The local database machine is running (Unixware 1.1)
> Oracle Server Release 7.0.12.2.0
> PL/SQL Relase 2.0.14.0.1
> SQL*NET 1.0
>
> I can connect to the remote database and do the select query from
> there. I have gotten this to work on two unixware machines.
>
> Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kevin Purcell
> purcell_at_iag.net

I had a similiar problem on two NCR boxes. Our Oracle REP said there was an incompatibility between Oracle 7.1.4 and 7.2.2. When I migrated the one database from 7.1.4 to 7.2.2, the problem went away. I haven't heard of this problem on NT, but it may be worth a call to Oracle.

--
jennings_at_dca.net