Re: Client-Installation SQL-NET Windows without ORAINST on every station?

From: Martin Malley <mmalley_at_radiks.net>
Date: 1996/08/30

scheuric_at_sprynet.com wrote:

> I tried to copy this from a single source on the last project I was on. Was
> unable to get the software to install successfully. Evidently some of the ini and
> dlls are modified that prevented me from automating the process. What I
> was able to do successfully was to run from a CD-Rom assigned to the network
> and mapped to a drive accessible to the world. Then I just had to run install from
> that CD. But I still had to sit at each individual client and upgrade them. If anyone
> has developed a methodology to successfully upgrade all the clients remotely, or
> better yet, remotely and automated, I would also be interested in this solution.
>
> Sheilah Scheurich
> DBAThe approach used where I work is this:

Install SQL*NET (and SQL*PLUS, etc) on a network drive accessible to all users. TNSNAMES.ORA goes on the network drive also (SQL*NET 2). Put ORACLE.INI on the network drive as well. Modify each workstation's WIN.INI to point to the ORACLE.INI on the network drive.
Copy VSL.INI from the network drive to each workstations c:\windows directory.

This presumes everybody is using the same communications drivers (otherwise there will need to be multiple ORACLE.INIs). It still requires some work at each workstation (modifying WIN.INI). Received on Fri Aug 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message