Re: Cold backup blues (UNIX)...

From: Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1996/08/30

irvin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com (Tim Irvin) wrote:

>Sometimes, "shutdown immediate" doesn't seem to work--Oracle hangs trying
>to shut down. The datafiles get backed up--I'm not sure how much I trust
>their integrity in this state--and when that happens, the startup fails
>and the backup script is still going...

>Some don't recommend it, but if it's a recurring problem, you could
>replace a shutdown immediate with a shutdown abort, startup and shutdown
>normal (or immediate).

Tim, I get exactly the same problem - in fact, we had it so badly (ie 90% of the time that we tried to do a cold backup), that we have now replaced the "clean" method of shutdown immediate with the shutdown abort, startup, and normal shutdown approach.

I don't like it, but it seems to be the only way that we can bring the database down to do the backup, and guarantee that it is going to work.

We have... HP-UX 9.04, Oracle 6.0.37.3.1

Is it an HP-UX issue, do you think?

--
Simon Holt --  System Designer/DBA
** My opinions are not nescessarily those of my employers **