Re: Oracle License Question

From: Loyal Barber <lbarber_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/08/29

John Bennett wrote:

> ko_at_esp.bellcore.com (Sridhar Ramalingam) wrote:
>
> >We have our oracle 7.1.6 running on a HP server and some clients on a PC
> >who connect to oracle server via SQL*NET V2. If we have 20 different
> >clients at any given time do we need 20 concurrent oracle licenses.
>
> Having spent a gret deal of time on licensing issues in the past week,
> I can say categorically that you are exactly right, sir. For example,
> you could have a 1,000 users but no more than 20 can access at 1 time.
> This is controlled by setting the MAX_SESSIONS parameter in your init
> file to 20.
I can give you an instance where that won't work correctly. I am working with software that uses Oracle forms 4.5. Each new form call comes with a new session. This is optional, it just is the way the original developer did the software. Anyway, it makes for a situation where a user may have 6 to 10 session running only one application. Also, I believe if you run Reports from Forms it is always on a separate session. Received on Thu Aug 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message