EASy question : INDEX PCTFREE 0%

From: Huijbrechts Rolf <huybrecr_at_realsoftware.be>
Date: 1996/08/28

Hi,

I'm a beginner in Oracle DBMS and I want to speed up transactions on a database.

I assume that the PCTFREE creation parameter can be 0 for an index as the index blocks are never updated. The length of the primary key is always the same in this database. I also assumed that in this case the Oracle index blocks would contain more keys as more physical space can be used ans so the system would respond equally to transactions and faster for queries via that index.

Local benchmarks show that inserts and updates on that table are slower with Indexes with PCTFREE 0% than ones with PCTFREE 10%.

Who can help me in finding the cause for this ?

Thanks in advance.

Rolf Huijbrechts
REAL SOFTWARE
huybrecr_at_realsoftware.be or 101505.533_at_compuserve.com

All opinions expressed are mine and not those of my employer.