Re: Distrubuted DB's??

From: Bill Schoonmaker <bill.schoonmaker_at_bsis.com>
Date: 1996/08/28

Jim Ryan wrote:

> Does Oracle support DB's distributed across multiple CPU's?
>
> Jim

I have used Oracle in both SMP and MPP environments so the answer to your question is yes. Oracle supports distributed databases with the distributed option which used to be an extra but I believe that it is included with the core product now. You can connect to another instance on another processor (node) and even set up views and synonyms so that the user sees the instance as "local". The Oracle DBA Handbook has a really good section on doing this.

Good luck

|Bill Schoonmaker	Oracle DBA	Broadway & Seymour|
|                bill.schoonmaker_at_bsis.com                |
|    These opinions are mine only - not my employer's     |