Re: Admin Tasks Re-indexing

From: <bwskiles_at_adpc.purdue.edu>
Date: 1996/08/28

How often you need to re-create your indexes is determined by how much inserting and deleting you're doing. It's been awhile since I've used v.6, but I believe you can use the VALIDATE INDEX index_name; command to get some statistics on your indexes. You can then pull up the INDEX_STATS view to see those statistics. The key values to look for are HEIGHT and DEL_LF_ROWS. If HEIGHT is > 4 or if DEL_LF_ROWS is greater than 25% of your LF_ROWS, your index should probably be dropped and re-created. And yes, it's only a matter of dropping/deleting the index and then recreating it.

Good luck.

--brad