Information on Oracle SQL Needed (Intersect, Minus & Count(Distinct(||)))

From: Johan Huygh <HuyghJo_at_dma.be>
Date: 1996/08/28

Hello,

I'm looking for information on the following problem:

In oracle SQL, besides UNION, you can also use MINUS and INTERSECT to query out data. Now I have to convert Powerbuilder 4.0 datawindows from Oracle SQL to SQLAnywhere (Sybase). Unfortunately, SQLAnywhere only knows UNION.

My solution is to replace the MINUS with a WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT....) and the INTERSECT with a WHERE EXISTS (SELECT...). Is there maybe another way which makes the system not so much slower????

Second problem:

SQLAnywhere doesn't support the following syntax:

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT(field1 || field2))

A count(distinct()) of a concatination is not allowed. A possible solution is to pre-concatenate the fields in a view, and work with that view. Is there maybe an easier way?

Please reply at the e-mail adress below. Any help whatsoever is welcome. Thanx.

Johan.

Johan Huygh

E-mail: HuyghJo_at_dma.be