Re: FTP of numeric data from MVS

From: Jeffrey Alper <alperj_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1996/08/28

Bill Manry wrote:

> Jeffrey Alper <alperj_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >I need to ftp numeric data from MVS to a HP UNIX machine. Currently I am
> >unpacking the data and writing in display format so that the conversion
> >from EBCDIC to ASCII works properly. For example, a column defined as
> >PIC S99V99 COMP-3 is defined as PIC 99.99-. The problem is that this
> >file may contain 3 million records and when it hits the UNIX machine the
> >numeric display fields have to be converted back to regular numerics so
> >that additional calculations can be performed (based on additional
> >information retrieved from an Oracle database). Right now I am using C
> >program functions (atoi, atof and sprintf) to do this work but I feel
> >that this may have excessive overhead. Any ideas???
>
> How about running the application on MVS (where the data can be
> accessed -in situ-) and accessing the Oracle database via SQL*Net? A
> subset of the Oracle for MVS product set (called Oracle for MVS
> Client) provides what you need (precompiler, SQL*Net, and various
> tools/utilities). Whether this is more efficient depends on the
> frequency of Oracle accesses relative to file accesses.
>
> /b
> --
> Bill Manry - Mainframe & Integration Technologies - Oracle Corp. USA
> The above statements and opinions are my own and do not
> necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.Bill,
Unfortunately the company I am working for does not have this product. Perhaps I could convince them to buy it. But anyway, I have about 40 processes that will run weekly and monthly. About 5 of these processes will have over a million records with an average of about 4 SQL statements per row. Would SQL*Net be able to handle this and would the product be expensive? Received on Wed Aug 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message