Re: FTP of numeric data from MVS

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/08/28

Jeffrey Alper <alperj_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I need to ftp numeric data from MVS to a HP UNIX machine. Currently I am
>unpacking the data and writing in display format so that the conversion
>from EBCDIC to ASCII works properly. For example, a column defined as
>PIC S99V99 COMP-3 is defined as PIC 99.99-. The problem is that this
>file may contain 3 million records and when it hits the UNIX machine the
>numeric display fields have to be converted back to regular numerics so
>that additional calculations can be performed (based on additional
>information retrieved from an Oracle database). Right now I am using C
>program functions (atoi, atof and sprintf) to do this work but I feel
>that this may have excessive overhead. Any ideas???

How about running the application on MVS (where the data can be accessed -in situ-) and accessing the Oracle database via SQL*Net? A subset of the Oracle for MVS product set (called Oracle for MVS Client) provides what you need (precompiler, SQL*Net, and various tools/utilities). Whether this is more efficient depends on the frequency of Oracle accesses relative to file accesses.

/b

--
Bill Manry - Mainframe & Integration Technologies - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not