Re: Resizing existing database?

From: Terry Porter <t_porter_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/08/28

Bas Ven wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if its is possible to resize an existing database?
> The current (test) database has reached its limit and we would like to
> extend it. It is either so trivial or stupid that we can't find
> anything in the docs that explains the how to. All help is appreciated.
>
> Bas

Yes, it's definitely possible! Short word first: the Oracle 7 concepts manual
does cover this topic -- it just doesn't actually SHOW you how! The other
specific manuals do that! I had to do a LOT of reading to know how to do anything
at all until I finally had my DBA class. It's really good to spend the extra
time with that concepts manual; once you know exactly how everything is laid out,
the other "how-to" manuals just make more sense.

Okay: do you know which tablespace is full? Let's assume you're using the default
ORCL database, so your data (and indexes as well, unfortunately for performance)
is in your USER_DATA tablespace. You need to add another operating system datafile
to expand the size of the tablespace. Remember, tablespaces can easily be composed
of multiple datafiles. An example command:

alter tablespace USER_DATA add datafile 'C:\ORANT\RDBMS72\USER02.DBF' size 50M;

will expand your tablespace by 50 megabytes in the directory shown. If you feel
that you will easily fill up 50 megabytes, make it larger.

My DATA tablespace is currently 1.6 GB, comprised of 4 400MB datafiles. Why not
just one or two HUGE files? Partly personal preference, partly operating system
dependent. Windows NT can handle files up to 2 GB in size (or larger, I could be
wrong), but for easy space management and backup, I chose to use a 400 MB size for
each datafile. In the future I may do an export/import and use 600 MB for each
datafile size.

I know how frustrating first working with Oracle is -- if you need any extra help
(with a faster response time than a usenet posting maybe), feel free to email me. Received on Wed Aug 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message