Re: datatype sizes

From: Brian P. Mac Lean <brian.maclean_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1996/08/28

gshell wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a manual reference that gives the byte
> requirements for each of the Oracle datatypes. I'm trying to estimate
> the disk space requirements for a database. I've found the "higher
> level" formulas that calculate the files size based on a row of a
> given size. But they show NADA on how to calculate the row size.
> Specifically, I need the size for a DATE and a NUMBER. I assume,
> given that a NUMBER datatype can handle up to 32 significant digits,
> it must be at least 16 bytes. (If I did my math corrrectly. <big ole
> grin>)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Shell

The SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 1996 Oracle Magazine has an article on "Sizing Tables and Indexes in Oracle7". Go to http:/www.oramag.com and become a member. You will find this issue/article in the archive area. The text contains PL/SQL code to calculate the size of an object based on the variables you pass it.

                       \\|//
                       (0-0)
           | Brian P. Mac Lean        |
           | Database Analyst         |