Re: Q: Is RAID/striping good with Oracle???

From: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_crabapple.cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: 1996/08/27

>gsa_at_li.net (Gary Assa) wrote:
>
>>Would RAID and striping be a good thing with Oracle 7?

>>Being that tables should be on different drives from indexes, etc.,
>>is RAID defeating the purpose? Or is it an insignificant amount
>>balanced by the speed of RAID?

You don't have to put all of the database files on the same RAID volume. I have two Raid 0+1 volumes composed of three mirrored disks each (6 total). I can balance the load between these two sets as needed - ie, keep data tables on one and indexes on another, etc.. Or, you can just throw everything together, accept the baseline performance and forget about load balancing. Stripe sets do provide better disk I/O than single volumes.

Glenn Stauffer
DBA
Swarthmore College Received on Tue Aug 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message