Re: Index performance

From: Christopher V Deephouse <cdeep+_at_andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: 1996/08/27

Excerpts from netnews.comp.databases.oracle: 14-Aug-96 Index performance by Glen Nunes_at_CompuServe.CO
Excerpts from netnews.comp.databases.oracle: 14-Aug-96 Index performance by Glen Nunes_at_CompuServe.CO
> We are having performance trouble with a batch process and we've
> narrowed it down to index performance. {...}
> Can anybody give me an idea of what may be causing this?

Indexing records one at a time is slow.

You can often save time by doing three steps in place of one.

1) Sort the data by the primary key.
2) Load the table without the index.
3) Then add the index(es) with CREATE INDEX.

-Chris Deephouse Received on Tue Aug 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message