Re: HELP: Cannot (re-)enable constraint

From: tshurko <vbanda_at_fldb1.fl.ford.com>
Date: 1996/08/26

> The following sequence causes no errors:
>
> TRUNCATE OFFENDING_TABLE;
> ALTER TABLE OFFENDING_TABLE ENABLE CONSTRAINT OFFENDING_CONSTRAINT;
> INSERT INTO OFFENDING_TABLE SELECT * FROM TEMP_TABLE;
> COMMIT;
>
> (This reports 37311 rows created)
>
> However, the 'enable constraint' cluase fails (parent keys not found)
> in the following sequence:
>
> TRUNCATE OFFENDING_TABLE;
> INSERT INTO OFFENDING_TABLE SELECT * FROM TEMP_TABLE;
> COMMIT;
> ALTER TABLE OFFENDING_TABLE ENABLE CONSTRAINT OFFENDING_CONSTRAINT;
 Hi,

    Guys I think it is defenetly not a Oracle Bug,     The best thing to do before enabling the constraint, make     a join between the old table and the new_table on the column     that is common, also do outer joins on both the sides and compare     the results of all the 3 joins, definetly there a value in     your column that is causing the problem, it can be as small as     a simple space...

    Thank you!

    Vijay Banda
    Ford Motors!

    Opinions or mine and only mine... Received on Mon Aug 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message