Re: Rollback Segment Sizing

From: Antero Elovaara <antero.elovaara_at_tietogroup.com>
Date: 1996/08/26

Sanat Joshi wrote:

> Is there an algorithm to size rollback segment requirements for a
> program? e.g. If I have a program that updates 1 mil. rows in a table
> where rowsize = 100 , but the size of columns being updated is only 50,
> how can I calculate rollback requirements.
> Are there any general purpose scripts to figure rollback segment size for
> a database, depending no. of concurrent users and transaction sizes?
>
> Also, does the kernel copy the entire datablock being modified in the
> rollback segment, or only the row being modified or something else?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sanat

Your question isn't the most trivial one. You might find some (partial) answers in Oracle Magazine's article in MARCH/APRIL 1995 issue:
Rollback Segments in Oracle7
It can be found in their www-server:
http://www.oramag.com/archives/25TECH.html Registration is needed in www.oramag.com

--
Antero Elovaara                  antero.elovaara_at_tietogroup.com
Carelcomp Power Oy

All possible opinions are only mine, not my employer