Re: data dictionary corrupt.

From: pogo <pogo_at_atlas.com>
Date: 1996/08/26

Pep Pla wrote:

> View (i think it's a view) dba_rollback_segs shows a rollback segment,
> owned by sys, with status = 'INVALID', there is another rollback seg
> with the same name owned by public.
>
> I tried to drop both, but i just can drop the public one, when i try to
> drop the other there's a message saying '... rollback ... does not exist'
> On the undo$ table appears both segments...
> On the dba_segments only the public one appears.
> Oracle support told me to export-recreate-import the database, but they
> don't point me to the origin of the errors, and i wouldn't like to find it
> later with other segments. Now I don't have the exact version number but its a Oracle 7.1....
> The OS is a Sun-Solaris 2.4 and the machine is a Sparc-1000.

You cannot delete the system rollback segment. If other rollback segments exist you can take it offline (you must put it back online to drop/create other rollback segments). If the system rollback segment is invalid you will need to do exactly what Oracle has instructed you to do. Export the instance recreate the entire database (blow away all datafiles/system tablespace etc....) then import your data.

Screwing with database objects owned by system is a sure recipie for corrupting the
data dictionary. Received on Mon Aug 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message