Re: successful migration from client/server to 3 tier systems ?

From: A. Singh <asingh_at_infinet.com>
Date: 1996/08/26

"Dave Murphy" <dmurphya_at_cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote in article <Dw9z2L.BvA_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>...

> > Lemme see if I can say this without starting The Great 2-Tier vs 3-Tier
> > Definitional Flamefest...
> >
> > From a performance point of view, TPC-C configurations share an
> > important 3-tier characteristic: the distribution of client load across
> > "front end" processors. This is true even though TPC-C doesn't define
> > full 3T logic. For that matter, even some 1-tier (host/mainframe)
> > environments share this offloading characteristic. While they may not
> > be your cup of tea, MVS mainframes scale darn well, thank you very
much!

How does a front-end processor make it 3-tier. Physically there may be only two tiers - the front end and the back end running and between them they can run all of the application for TPC-C. This may give you a "fat client" but, I think, it is still 2-tier. Logically it may be 3-tier but then you can get
logical 3-tier on MVS mainframe also.