Re: Can I do a system call (unix call) from pl/sql

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/08/24

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996 15:42:48 -0700, Campbell White <Preveal2_at_vni.net> wrote:

>Lianyi Zhu wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gurus:
>>
>> I am new to pl/sql programming. I need to call a C/PERL/SHELL program
>> from PL/SQL. Can I do it? How?
>>
>> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Lianyi

Or you can avoid doing development and check out http://govt.us.oracle.com, follow the link to 'Tech Center' and then downloadable utilities. There you will find 'plex' (Pl/SQL Extender) that allows you to easily call C from pl/sql using dbms_pipes (automates all of the code you would have to otherwise write)....

You can use database pipes to talk to a running 'daemon' process that is really a server you write your self. One of the demo programs the plex documentation walks thru issues a host command and returns the results which sounds like what you want to do.

Look in the application developers guide, it shows how to use pipes to do this...

[advertisement snipped]
Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com -- Check out our web site! Brand new, uses Oracle Web Server and Database

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Aug 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message