Re: Developer 2000 Memory Leaks and Resource Leaks

From: Fred and/or Amber Sauer <fsauer_at_idcomm.com>
Date: 1996/08/24

I have been using a stand alone report (Reports 2.5.4.0.8) that is loaded with graphic images (different company logos with format triggers firing under different circumstances).

Occasionally certain pages in the report will be without graphics, i.e. the logos are missing but also some of the lines (short 1 pt. lines). The text always remainss intact. Oracle confirmed that this is GDI memory running out (known to Windows as available resources in Help | About Program Manager). They did not indicate if the problem was being caused by Developer/2000 or is really a problem with Windows OS. Sounds more like a marriage between the two. They suggested that we migrate to v1.3 of Developer/2000 which is the 32bit version, indicating that resource management is done better on Win95.

I've found than cranking the physical memory of the machine from 16MB to 24 or 32MB does help somewhat. In some cases a home grown client/server application (Forms 4.5/Reports 2.5) would generate entirely blank pages for machines with 16MB of memory. Other machines that were as far as we could tell identical in H/W and S/W would work ok. I bet any text they were printing was done graphically, as opposed to using printer fonts.

It would seem that problems take longer to surface with 32MB in place. But in the end resource memory is limited and a short term fix seems to be regularily shutdown Windows 3.1 and restart (there is no need to reboot your machine or logoff/logon to the network).

(I've done no monitoring to determine if there is really a leak or possibly just a form of resource fragmentation.)