Re: Passing parameters to sql*plus ??

From: Fred and/or Amber Sauer <fsauer_at_idcomm.com>
Date: 1996/08/24

Try these options:

  1. Use the \n escaped character to echo a new line between parameters. Note: \n produces a line feed; \r produces carriage return

echo "$FIRST_VAR\n$SECOND_VAR" | sqlplus user/pass

2. Create a temp file

tmpfile=`mktemp`
echo $VAR_ONE >$tmpfile
echo $VAR_TWO >$tmpfile
sqlplus user/pass <$tmpfile
rm $tmpfile

3. Let unix do the work for creating the temp file and removing it.

   <<EOD has the script contents piped to sqlplus until EOD is read    <<-EOD has the initial white space on the left removed before piping

          which simply makes the script more legible

sqlplus user/pass <<-EOD

	$VAR_ONE
	$VAR_TWO
	EOD

4. In your code use &1, &2 and &3 to reference first, second and third

   parameters. (The quotes ensure that a variable with spaces is still    processed by the shell as a single variable.)

sqlplus user/pass "$VAR1" "$VAR2" "$VAR3"

Good luck!