Re: Q: Is RAID/striping good with Oracle???

From: Jochen Guther <guther_at_privat.prodata.de>
Date: 1996/08/24

gsa_at_li.net (Gary Assa) wrote:

>Would RAID and striping be a good thing with Oracle 7?

>Being that tables should be on different drives from indexes, etc.,
>is RAID defeating the purpose? Or is it an insignificant amount
>balanced by the speed of RAID?

>I am really not up on the way RAID works.
>--
> http://www.li.net/~gsa/index.html
>This is my signature file, not part of this mail message.

We are running a Sparcserver 20 with dual 150 MHz CPUs and 400MB of RAM and a fully loaded Sparc Storage Array. From my experience RAID 5 on the Sparc Storage Array doesn't do Oracle any good. Writes on Raid 5 are three times slower than on a single disk. I would rather mirror the redo logs and distribute datafiles over as many disks as possible.

By the way, Oracle screams on this configuration. Despite the speedy CPUs it is not I/O bound ! (Maybe 400MB of RAM helps a little bit...) Received on Sat Aug 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message