Re: Table In Memory

From: R. Wayne Linton, ISP <lintonw_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/08/22

Dong Duong Nguyen (SSE) wrote:

> Hello,
> I was wondering if anyone knows how to load a table into memory
> and keep it there. I've got a large table that is constantly being accesses
> Keeping it in memory would help a lot.
>
> Thanks
> doug

If you have a more recent version of ORACLE7 (v7.1+) you can flag a table as being CACHE. The first time a table scan is done on it, it will be loaded into the SGA at the 'most frequently used' end of the data buffers. But if you want to put a big table in there, better get lots of memory! And on a busy system, this CACHEd table may be flushed out to make room for others. You could end up thrashing your SGA to death. Lots of memory is the key. Received on Thu Aug 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message