Re: Q: Is RAID/striping good with Oracle???

From: George Dau <gedau_at_mim.com.au>
Date: 1996/08/22

netac <netac_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

]separate disks (or sets of disks). I too am interested in any comments
]from people on this topic. We are thinking of upgrading our SPARC 1000
]to include a SPARC storage array with more drives for RAID, and I would

We are running a SSA 102 on a Sparc 1000e with 3 Oracle databases on it. We are using the Veritas VM software, and had a lot of trouble early on. Our MTBF was just under 3 weeks. We have not had any problems since we installed the latest patches from Sun, 10 weeks ago.

We have a 120 (concurrent) user 10Gig DB on RAID5, with 3:1 Read/Write ratio, and the average write time is 30ms.

You still have to shut down an SSA to replace a disk, and Veritas VM does not always start a hot spare when you loose a part of your RAID5 volume - it will stay in degraded mode until you manually do something about it; but the system is working fine here.

George.
gedau_at_mim.com.au Received on Thu Aug 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message