Re: Server / Listener Problems

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/08/22

In article <NEWTNews.840472484.28504.Kevin_Hrim_at_XCO3550khrim.co.xerox.com> khrim_at_roch875.mc.xerox.com writes:

>In Article<4v16em$1pj_at_mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>, <wsluk_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net> writes:
>> From: William Luk <wsluk_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
>> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>> Subject: Server / Listener Problems
>> Date: 16 Aug 1996 07:02:46 GMT
>>

>> We are running Oracle 7 server on an X86 Solaris 2.5.
>> I finished installing the Oracle 7 server (version 7.3.2.1)
>> with SQL*Net version 2.3. When I tried to access the
>> server from a sqlplus client, I got the following errors on
>> the client:
>>
>> ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>> ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
>> NCR System 3000 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>>
>> Oracle support has been working on this for couple weeks, and
>> is not sure where the error is coming from.
>>
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Could you be a little more exact as to what you are typing in when you get this. It's almost as if you are looking at the wrong server...

>> WSL
>>

>Make sure to check the ownership of files,shared memory etc..
>
>The command "ipcs" should show ownership of "oracle" and a group of "dba" for
>the existing instance structures.
>
>If your system starts oracle automatically (most do) after a reboot, the "ipcs
>" could show an ownership of "root" and group of "other" for the shared memory

If the ownership is incorrect, someone probably didn't follow the directions for starting up. The rc startup file should have a command like:

su oracle -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart"

I usually like to redirect the output to its own file in $ORACLE_HOME, so I can look at it later if necessary.

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>