oracle support pricing scam!!

From: netac <netac_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1996/08/21

Is anyone out there fed up like me with the way Oracle prices support for their RDBMS licenses. I just called and got a quote for a license for a new server. It just me and one other DBA person using the telephone, and we have Bronze support for each of our two existing servers. I figured they had a support level that would simply allow me to get the software updates for that server, but not continue to buy telephone support for every new server we add. Nope, Bronze is the lowest level of support and you have to take it, because we all know that 1 out of 2 Oracle "releases" have bugs in them big enough to be unusable. What a ripoff!! Bronze support for our Sun servers is 12K per year EACH!! Anyone else handling this differently? I even told the sales scumbag that the cost of this maintenance was stopping us from expanding the use of the RDBMS. He couldn't care less... Received on Wed Aug 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message