Re: Q: Is RAID/striping good with Oracle???

From: Vince Cross <bartok_at_nortel.ca>
Date: 1996/08/21

R. Wayne Linton, ISP wrote:

> We use RAID-5 which is really striping at the bit/byte level across
> several volumes. We also use RAID-0 which is actually mirroring entire
> volumes.

Actually, RAID-0 is pure striping. Mirroring is RAID-1. I recommend the use of either pure RAID level 0 or RAID 0+1 (striping and mirroring) for use with Oracle. It's the most expensive in terms of hardware but it doesn't have the write penalties that RAID-5 has. (I know, you can put large memory caches on RAID-5 to reduce the penalties, but RAID 0+1 will usually give you the best performance.)

> I have striped a tablespace across four volumes, each of which
> is mirrored and with their own access path. RAID-5 runs on a single
> controller, so your path to the data is a single one. The advantage of
> striping is that you can get several paths to the data (presuming the
> volumes are on different controllers.)

I hope you don't have your redo logs on the RAID-5 system. If so, you may have a bottleneck there.

Vince Received on Wed Aug 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message