Re: Q: Is RAID/striping good with Oracle???

From: R. Wayne Linton, ISP <lintonw_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/08/20

netac wrote:

> Gary Assa wrote:
> >
> > Would RAID and striping be a good thing with Oracle 7?
> >
> > Being that tables should be on different drives from indexes, etc.,
> > is RAID defeating the purpose? Or is it an insignificant amount
> > balanced by the speed of RAID?
> >
> > I am really not up on the way RAID works.
> > --

We use RAID-5 which is really striping at the bit/byte level across several volumes. We also use RAID-0 which is actually mirroring entire volumes. I have striped a tablespace across four volumes, each of which is mirrored and with their own access path. RAID-5 runs on a single controller, so your path to the data is a single one. The advantage of striping is that you can get several paths to the data (presuming the volumes are on different controllers.)

We run Alpha servers and SCSI drives. Hope this helps.

Wayne Linton Received on Tue Aug 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message