Re: Q: Is RAID/striping good with Oracle???

From: netac <netac_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1996/08/20

Gary Assa wrote:

> Would RAID and striping be a good thing with Oracle 7?
>
> Being that tables should be on different drives from indexes, etc.,
> is RAID defeating the purpose? Or is it an insignificant amount
> balanced by the speed of RAID?
>
> I am really not up on the way RAID works.
> --
> http://www.li.net/~gsa/index.html
> This is my signature file, not part of this mail message.

RAID does not necessarily preclude keeping tables and indexes on separate disks (or sets of disks). I too am interested in any comments from people on this topic. We are thinking of upgrading our SPARC 1000 to include a SPARC storage array with more drives for RAID, and I would be interested in hearing about people's experiences with this configuration.... Received on Tue Aug 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message