What Qualifications are need to be a DBA??

From: Brad Puett <bpuett_at_interpath.com>
Date: 1996/08/20

I ask this question, because I think I've got pretty good qualifications to be a DBA, but having never "officially" held a DBA job (and because I'm looking for one now in the Research Triangle Park, NC area (Hint! Hint!), I would like to know what other DBAs think those qualifications should be ....

I can do *and* have done the following:

  • Minimum of 7 years of Oracle experience (includes DB2 experience, also).
  • *Extremely* Proficient in DDL and SQL (both 6.x and 7.x -- NOTE: only features I have not used of Oracle (excluding things like Forms, etc.) is packages, triggers and similar PL/SQL 7.x *new* features
  • physical table design (I've created several Data Bases, from 5 -100 tables plus figured out how to copy databases from a "Production" environment to a "Development" environment *and* back (if needed)!!
  • load/unload utilities (That was the reason I was hired for my last job!)
  • backup/recovery utilities (Not only have used them several times, have even automated them for daily/weekly cron jobs; also have been there on several sleepless nights recovering crash databases!)
  • performance tuning (just did some of this in my last job (4 - 5 months) -- I'm not an *expert*, but I made several significant (i.e. affected Data Base in a Positive way) changes to the SGA

Are there more skills / experience I need to pick up before "trying" for a job as a
DBA? DO I need System Administration (read: Hardware) skills? (I'm pretty low in this area since, when problems arise, I think more "software" than "hardware"!!
(Have "recovered" a system before ...)

Any suggestions/ideas/"contructive critism" is welcomed!!!

--
Brad Puett
bpuett_at_interpath.com