How do people distribute Dev/2k

From: Ross Ellard <Ellard_at_DMLIS.zynet.co.uk>
Date: 1996/08/20

We have a relatively small IS department of around 15-20 staff and are in the early stages of moving from Forms 3 etc to Developer/2000. As part of this move we are obviously using PC as the main development environment. These PC's are runnning Windows 3.1 and have access to shared file services, running under Digital's Pathworks NOS, or local hard drives.

Early users simply installed the Dev/2k kit locally onto each PC's hard drive but now with a bigger development community we are looking at how to best make the Dev/2k kit available to all our 15-20 development staff. We would rather not have to install it on every PC as although that gives better performance it makes maintenance upgrades a nightmare to manage and control and also takes up considerable disk space. Having it sourced from a common network file service also has proven to have problems.

What I was wondering is how do other companies deploy the Des/2k kit to their development staff as I am sure there must be others who have had to solve this dilema. Although all feedback is welcome I would be particularly interested to hear from any UK companies that have resolved this problem.

We are also starting to face a similar problem with deploying the applications that have been developed in Dev/2k. Again where do people install the Dev/2k run time components and code.

Is it on each users PC or centrally on a file service? What are the pros and cons of either approach?

We are finding both of these areas really hard to resolve and it is infact tarnishing some of our managements opinion of the Dev/2k product so we are obviously eager to find the best solution to this problem for DML.

Ross Ellard
IS Development Project Leader Received on Tue Aug 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message