Re: Removing a Column

From: Murthy S. Patamalla <murthy.patamalla_at_platinum.brooks.af.mil>
Date: 1996/08/20

bjonnard_at_ix.netcom.com (Bill Jonnard) wrote:
>This question has been bugging me for the last few years:
>
>Is there any way to remove a column from a table other than to
>recreate the table (minus the offending column) and then inserting all
>the rows into the new table?

1.I do not understand why can not do like

    CREATE TABLE(new table) xxxxx AS SELECT 1,2,3,... from TABLE(original

                                                                   table)
  This way the table is created as well as populated with data.

>I am attempting to remove a number of obsolete columns from a very
>large table, and the prospect of having to solve this problem in the
>manner described above almost makes it a pointless exercise due to the
>amount of time, resources, etc that it would take.

2.I agree with you some extent if you are doing this for large number of   tables but removing many columns from a single large table, this   actually is the fastest and easiest way.

>Thanks for any advice. -- Bill bjonnard_at_ix.netcom.com

OK, if I was of any help to you.

Murthy Received on Tue Aug 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message