Re: PowerBuilder and Oracle

From: Bob Davis <bdavis_at_btigate.com>
Date: 1996/08/20

In article <19960819175600UDSD065_at_DSIBM.OKLADOT.STATE.OK.US>, UDSD065_at_DSIBM.OKLADOT.STATE.OK.US wrote:
>Hi all,
>
> I haven't dived very deep into PB, but this question is bugging me
>since a week. Reading this news group and job ads, I saw that PB and
>Oracle are usually mentioned together. As far as I know, PB has watcom
>database that comes with it and one can create PB front end to manipulat
>e this database. I have not used Oracle but somebody told me that Oracle
>also comes with some feature that lets you make screen for data manipula
>tion. I am not sure if he is right. Now, my question is:
>
>1) Why do they use them together?
>
>2) Why not use WATCOM that comes with the package instead of using
>ORACLE?
The version of Watcom (now SQL Anywhere) that comes with PB is a single-user version, although multi-user versions are of course available. Since most PB apps are client-server, not desktop, you need a server RDBMS. There are a LOT of Oracle sites out there, and they need applications. :)

Oracle has a product available (it does not "come with" Oracle). It does not even bear comparing to PB, in my opinion of course.

 3) Is this true that PB is only used as a front end and ORACLE as back?

[snip]

No. PB is usually for the front end, but works with many back-end databases; Sybase and Oracle are probably the most popular, but there are a string of others like DB2 and Informix, etc. And of course any database with an ODBC driver can be used as well.

 Bob Davis
 bdavis_at_btigate.com
 "Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Unknown