Re: SQL*Net through the modem

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/08/20

"Scott T. Johnson" <sjohns6_at_ibm.net> wrote:

>I would like to be able to work with Developer/2000 at home. The Server
>at work has Oracle and SQL*Net. Can SQL*Net be configured to answer
>the modem and accept a connection. What would I need on the client
>(home) side?
>
>Thanks,
>Scott

I haven't done this myself, but I don't think it's even a SQL*Net configuration question. The physical connection should be handled at the network layer (TCP, IPX), not the application layer (SQL*Net). If it's tcp/ip, you need to run either PPP (point to point protocol) or SLIP (serial line IP). As far as SQL*Net's concerned, it's just a plan old TCP/IP connection.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!