Re: SQL*Loader the right way to do this ?

From: Tim Irvin <irvin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: 1996/08/19

In article <4v929b$3vio_at_elmo.cadvision.com>, gouldent_at_cadvision.com (Ted Goulden) wrote:

> SQL*LOAD is the only way to go. Its very, very difficult in PL/SQL and
> only slightly easier in something like PRO*C. Even SQL*PLUS is a
> better option than PL/SQL.
>
> BReisner_at_bomc.timeinc.com (Brad Reisner) wrote:
>
> >Hi. I have a large volume of text files saved with the filename being an
> >item sku. I want to import these into an Oracle database that is
> >preexisting. I have a table with fields SKU and TEXT. Is there an easy way
> >to mass import these files, using something like SQL*Loader, or will I
> >have better luck concatenating them into a giant import string in plsql ?

But do note that if you are running in archivelog mode, using SQL*Loader can result in *huge* amounts of archive logs. If you do this very often, perform cold backups rather frequently, followed immediately by a purge of older, pre-backup archive logs. Failure to do this can result in a real disk storage crunch.

--
Tim Irvin, HP-UX System Administrator / Oracle DBA
Lockheed Martin Missiles and Space, Sunnyvale, California