Re: Supporting three instances of Oracle on HPUX 10.01

From: Uwe Schuerkamp <stico!hoover_at_dim.chemie.uni-bielefeld.de>
Date: 1996/08/19

In article <mxyap.34.000D9070_at_cdo.com>, MunTuck Yap <mxyap_at_cdo.com> wrote:

>The hardware configuration for the machine is proposed to be:
>
> HP 9000 Series 800 Model G50
> 256 MB of memory
> 3x4 GB internal disk
> 3x4 GB external disk
>
> Three instances of Oracle are to be run on this machine with the following:
>
> Oracle Instance Number of users Size of Database
> A 45 400 MB
> B 15 300 MB
> C 15 300 MB
>
> Is this hardware configuration sufficient to provide the level of service
>to the respective users? At what stage would degradation of performance be
>seen? I know a lot is dependent on the things they are doing, but I like to
>hear some recommendations and possibilities.
>
>Thanks

I think that if you're planning about 80 concurrent users, your machine is a bit too small cpu-wise. Maybe you should opt for a two-processor machine instead. We're running Oracle 7 on an H40 (867) with currently about 40 users and 256MB memory (although our databases are much larger), and the machine *crawls*. You'd probably be better off chosing the dual-cpu version if such a beastie is available in the G series.

Admittely, we're not running genuine Oracle, but use Straessle's PSK on top of it which eats a bit of mem, too.

Hope this helps,

Uwe.

--
Uwe Schuerkamp =======DISCLAIMER: My opinions  probably scare my bosses..
"A motion built upon human toil           --   ___at_      Think globally: