RE: Oracle and Memory

From: stephen roberts <STEVE_at_chigtow.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/08/18

In article <00001a1b+00007ef2_at_msn.com> richu_at_msn.com "Richard Hu" writes:

> >This might sound like a totally idiotic question, since it
> >flys in the face of reason. But, an associate of mine just
> >came back from a Oracle class where the statement was made that
> >'having too much memory can cause problems with Oracle'. I
> >thought that this was totally absurd and the person in the
> >class didn't ask the obvious question, why?

> >Does this make sense to anyone or was the instructor out to lunch?

> >Thanks,
> >Joe
>

> More memory=ORACLE heaven...I cant see how more memory could ever
> really hurt. AT best you can have a large mahority of your database
> in RAM...this would not HURT at all and be lightning fast

        Perhaps the reference is to a problem that has been discussed in this news group recently. Ive no personal experience of it;

  but reportedly oracle exhibits problems (I think during installation) if a system has more that (i think) 2 Giga bytes of SPARE memory.

  This was recently discussed but the thread seems to have petered out now.

--
steve roberts