Re: Server / Listener Problems

From: Dave Mausner <dmausner_at_brauntech.com>
Date: 1996/08/17

In article <4v16em$1pj_at_mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

   William Luk <wsluk_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>We are running Oracle 7 server on an X86 Solaris 2.5.
>I finished installing the Oracle 7 server (version 7.3.2.1)
>with SQL*Net version 2.3. When I tried to access the
>server from a sqlplus client, I got the following errors on
>the client:
>
> ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
> NCR System 3000 Error: 2: No such file or directory

the error means that the SGA image file could not be found over on the server side, and the usual explanation is that oracle is not running. are you sure your connect string info in tnsnames.ora specifies the correct hostname and the correct SID name. they are not the same.

the hostname must be found by your domain name server. the SID must match one found in the "oratab" file. check those out before you commit suicide.

--
Dave Mausner, Consulting Manager, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.