Re: Server / Listener Problems

From: Naren Chintala <naren_at_mink.att.com>
Date: 1996/08/16

William Luk <wsluk_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>We are running Oracle 7 server on an X86 Solaris 2.5.
>I finished installing the Oracle 7 server (version 7.3.2.1)
>with SQL*Net version 2.3. When I tried to access the
>server from a sqlplus client, I got the following errors on
>the client:
>
> ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
> NCR System 3000 Error: 2: No such file or directory

This error NORMALLY occurs when the Oracle instance is not running and a connection is made to Oracle. Try the following.

  1. On the server, check all the varibles (ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME,etc)
  2. connect to oracle using sqlplus userid/passwd.
  3. If step 2 is successful, then try to connect from the client. Check if the paramaters in the listener.ora is correct (ORACLE_SID,etc).

Hope this helps
naren