Re: Power Mac Developer/200 ??

From: Adam Winer <awiner_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1996/08/16

In article <4v0ako$oop_at_mandolin.qnet.com>, astep_at_qnet.com (Alan S.) wrote:

> Looking for anyone who is using Develoepr/2000 on a Power Mac
> environment. I have a question which I want to know if anyone else is
> having a problem printing reports; specifically any reports which are
> defined as landscape.
>
> According to Oracle the new version of Developer/2000 only supports
> Quickdraw GX drive installed. That means the previous version of
> LaserWriter 8 is not supported.

Not entirely true. Standard QuickDraw drivers are fully supported in Developer/2000; batch printing, however, is not fully supported except under QuickDraw GX.

> Here is the problem I am encountering:
>
> I have a report that is defined as 11x8.5 (sideways). When the report is
> processed, I see the report prior to printing. When I click on the Print
> button the report prints out in Portrait. If I manually change the Page
> Setup prior to clicking on the PRINT button the report prints out fine.

True. This is an OS limitation; there is currently no way with standard QuickDraw printer drivers (e.g., LaserWriter 8) to programatically set printer output to landscape mode; the user has to do it manually. The OS does provide this functionality with QuickDraw GX, so we take advantage of it there. The exact same problem occurs with printing to a file; it has to be done manually with standard QuickDraw drivers, but can be done programatically (i.e., automatically) with QuickDraw GX.

If I could have implemented it otherwise, I would have done so, but the OS just doesn't allow it - sad, but true.

Regards,
Adam Winer
awiner_at_us.oracle.com
Technical Staff, Oracle Corp. Received on Fri Aug 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message