Comparing tables in two DBs

From: Lou Avrami <lavrami_at_attmail.com>
Date: 1996/08/15

Hello all,

        We have an application that runs on UNIX SVR4, Oracle 7.1.6.

        Another site is experiencing problems with the application, and it appears to be related to the application reference tables within the database.

        The other site has sent a full export of their database, and I have imported it into an instance on one of our local machines. I have been charge with the task of comparing the contents of these application reference tables (100+) in our database and the import of the other site.

        Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this? Perhaps the easiest (and ugliest) way to do this would be to dump the sorted contents of each imported table into an ASCII file, and then run the UNIX commands 'diff' and 'comp' against the ASCII counterpart from our local database. I would like to avoid doing this.

        My initial thoughts are to establish a database link between our local (good) DB and the instance with the remote (bad) DB. I then want to construct queries that will search for records within each table of the good DB, and see if they exist in the table of the bad DB. I think that PL/SQL would be better for this than other tools, but I'm not sure ... I've only been thinking about how to go about this a couple of minutes.

        Any thoughts, suggestions, code, examples, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lou Avrami
AT&T Received on Thu Aug 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message