Re: Index performance

From: James B. Reynolds <jbreynol_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/08/15

In <4usrpi$stc$1_at_mhadf.production.compuserve.com> Glen Nunes <73044.1336_at_CompuServe.COM> writes:

>We are having performance trouble with a batch process and we've
>narrowed it down to index performance.
>
>We have created a brand new tablespace on a new drive. Our
>testing indicates a 1000 record insert that takes 6 second
>non-indexed, takes 55 seconds or more when indexed in any of a
>variety of ways.
>
>Can anybody give me an idea of what may be causing this?
>
>Paul Jacobs

Paul,

This may sound like a stupid reply but you are inserting a row and an index which generally consumes more resources than just inserting a row. This speeds up reads (selects), if the index is used, but slows down writes (inserts, deletes, etc.).

If possible place the index in a separate tablespace, on a separate device (disk), and if the disk is on a separate controller so much the better.

Milton Friedman once wrote a book that was titled "There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch."

Regards,

Jim Reynolds
jbreynol_at_ix.netcom.com   Received on Thu Aug 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message